Thursday, August 21, 2008

Me, too!!

Well, I've been thinking about doing this for awhile. I've pretty much abandoned journal writing, though I still pretend I'm going to pick it back up again, and who knows? Maybe I will.
Really, it's the same problem my sister states in her first blog (Farm Kitchen Table), which is how to begin. There is a lot of pressure in any opening entry, be it blog, journal, slambook. It's what keeps me from getting back into journaling. I imagine myself, writing to myself, something like, "Wow, I can't believe how long it's been since I last wrote in this thing! So much has happened, I don't even know where to start. I got married and had a baby." Then I'm like, uh, "____..."
I don't want to start with the cliches, "it's changed my life," "my baby is a miracle," "we are so happy," and the like, but really, there's a reason these are common expressions-- because that's the truth.

Then there's the insincerity of just glossing over it with no introduction, jumping right in with, "This morning Buck and I went to the library." To skip the very recent event of a child being born seems borderline negligent. Besides that, there are literary reasons not to go about it in this manner-- "Who is Buck?" I can see scribbled in red ink above my first entry. "Need to define characters and place."

Alright, so place? A little cabin in the Big Woods, a lake nearby, far enough out of town to not have to worry about neighbors, but close enough to town to make a run in if you need to.

Characters? Well, there's me, my husband Adam, our almost-four-month-old son Buck, and a host of four-, two- and no-legged creatures we share our cabin and woods with (yes, Mr. Huddleston, I do see those prepositions so incorrectly ending the previous sentences. I'm calling it my "style.").

Time? The present.
Mood? Changing.
Themes (if any)? We will just have to see.


p.s. I'm totally copying my older sister. She just started her blog and I was all, me too!!!

2 comments:

  1. woo-hoo, an historic day for the both of us. how come yours looks so much better than mine already?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and did I mention that your blog's name is way cooler than mine? maybe I should change mine...

    ReplyDelete

Comments always appreciated!